Click here if you are having website access problems ×

More oomph from 1.6 K-series?

Tropical Tim

I took delivery of a Roadsport 115bhp 1.6 K-series Seven at the start of this year. Fantasic. However, after a Palmersport track day at Bedford Autodrome in August I find myself lusting for more power.

Any suggestions for suitable engine mods from other 1.6 owners would be gratefully received. Please note one minor problem, however - the car and I are both in Trinidad in the West Indies, so any solutions that involve sending the car to someone in the UK and signing a cheque are non-starters!

Thanks in anticipation

Tropical Tim

Tim

Having experienced the same yearning for more power out of my Roadsport I have done a fair bit of research and taken plenty of advice about possible upgrades.

I have decided to limit my modification to a 4-2-1 (rather than standard 4-1) Powerspeed exhaust which seems to be a widely recommended first step (something to do with the length of the primaries on the standard exhaust not allowing the engine to breath properly but that's about the extent of my technical understanding!!). I have then decided to tuck away any further cash that I would have spent on upgrades and put it towards an R300 in a year's time.

The key driver behind this decision was that I understand that you can spend a fortune on upgrading standard 7's but will see little return from your investment when you come to sell or upgrade the vehicle.

With the cheap cost of flights you can get...

You know Tropical Tim, if you managed to find a second hand Supersport kit (or new) to take your car to about 138bhp, and found a list of other things you wanted 'looked at' or tweaked, then Peters suggestion might not be such a bad idea. Having benefited from his help and advice many times its got to be worth it.

(Peter - if you do need an extra pare of hands..... *smile*)

Updated MODEL and Cartoon pictures at mycaterham.com

here

50,000miles in 2 years

*eek*This is getting more serious - you see, Tim, I am lacking gainful employment at the moment and any diversion could be a good diversion.

If you want to consider a shoppign list, and then go for something like this I *could* do it. Don't rule out getting a Dave Andrews head and throttle body conversion. He would probably do it on an exchange basis, but you will need to book in loads in advance.

So there you have it. Back to Dave Andrews, the world is your mollusc and the delivery mode can be sorted.

Any other 7'ers out there on thre Islands? - get a 'shopping list' of parts/services - split cost etc etc.

'Peter Carmichael Workshop World Tour' 😬

(If Peter cannot make it, I will come and learn up on the flight over)

What a pity that what I do can be sent over the internet *mad* 😬

Updated MODEL and Cartoon pictures at mycaterham.com

here

50,000miles in 2 years

Taff

If you intend to upgrade to an R300 in a year's time then you might want to change your mind on the Powerspeed exhaust.

Since this is not a Caterham item they are unlikely to take your car as a trade-in - and its not just a case of putting back your old exhaust becasue of the enlarged hole you need to cut in the side skin

Don't get me wrong, the Powerspeed exhaust is great, but not necessarily a mod I would do if I intended to trade the car in.

Hi Tim, dunno if you have contacted Peter C re getting on a plane and doing the work for you but it sounds like a bloody good scheme to me. What he doesn't know about K series tuning you don't need to know and everybody concerned could have a good time and a sorted car for minimal sums of cash. If I were interested in modding my K series I'd be posting him some tickets now, booking some leave and tidying up the spare room!

The main difficulty would probably be getting him to stop before upgradeitis set in on all moving parts.