Click here if you are having website access problems ×

X Flow manual

Castrol

Can anyone recommend a good workshop manual for strip down and rebuild of the X flow?

Following an act of sheer stupidity last week (by me ☹️) I whipped the engine out tonight to find con-rod no's 1 and 3 doing a great impression of a banana (but not yellow). That explains why it wouldn't turn over I suppose 😳.

Thanks,

Matt.

Balancing on the edge of going Zetec.......but I just love the X flow induction roar.

Frog-one,

Yes. I did mine a few years ago, best move I could have made. Went to an 1800, still on Carbs.

THE expert on this is James Whiting - I don't know if he still supplies the kits for it, as he is now heavily involved with the Fireblade cars, but it's worth giving him a call,

Dave H

Frog-One,

From what I've heard it is a realistic conversion, can't comment on the Live axle bit though as mine is de-dion, but the articles / stories I have read on the conversion seem to suggest it is worth it. As does Dave H.

I had planned to do the conversion gradually by going 3D on the X-flow, then throttle bodies then finally the engine. Now I may have to bit the bullet in one go.

Dave H.

I have spoken to James Whiting and they don't do their kits anymore ☹️ but have suggested I contact Dunnells. Just as a ball park figure how much did your conversion cost?

Steve,

Thanks for the link to the book. I will try to get that this weekend.

Matt.

Matt,

I did some other bits when I had the engine out, replacing bushes/shocks/wings/lights/radiator/respray/floor etc, but I think the engine conversion, including new Webber 45's & management system, Raceline sump, exhaust (full system), James Whiting hose kit and 2nd hand engine (£250) came to around £3k.

Mine is a Live axle (Ital) on a 4 speed box, and the engine is (currently) untouched - no head work or cam changes. It has a better power band than the Xflow, and revs freer, doesn't start to run out of puff at 5k and sound like it will fall apart at 6K 😳.

Dave H