Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Arnie, Alex et al

Chas Guirey

I have an 8v vauxhall. I have found a cheap,running, k reg SRI engine. Will this engine definetly fit into my car. Can you please help with the following:-

1. Can I use my 40 webers and if so where could I source a suitable manifold

2. Similar question with the exhaust - can I retain my existing one and the manifold or will I have to source a new one?

3. Any idea what it will cost to recon the engine - ball park figure only

If anyone can answer these questions or add anything serious or horrendously costly that I have missed I would be very grateful

regards

Chas

Hi Chas,

1. You really need 45's. You need the Caterham manifold to get the carbs around the chassis correctly. With the number of people (except James of course) recognising the benefits of injection (albeit at significant cost) these do come up for sale from time to time. Try a wanted ad! Also try the for scale & wanted section on Racecar.co.uk

2. I think the syetm you have is an adapted crossflow item. The way the 16v system fits together is different. Again, others are upgrading to equal,length large bore systems, so a Caterham system is not impossible to source 2nd hand.

3. Full set of gaskets bearings and rings are around £200 - £250. If you have time, suck it and see. the VX is very robust and even an 80,000 miler might have luttle wear on it. Stem seals are prone to disintegrating on older engines though.....

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM website

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website here

AFAIK the 2L SRi Cav at this time was an 8V unit developing 135bhp, the 16V being reserved for the GSi (165bhp). They are very very tough in this form, I ran one to beyond 150k, then sold it to a friend who added 40k before all the ancillaries fell off. The basic engine is as hard as nails given (as usual) oil chages of decent quality.

I bought a 1990 Cavalier SRI 2litre 8 valve last night - having looked in the handbook it appears that the car could have either the SEH or NE engine depending upon the number stamped on the block. The former is 115bhp and the latter 130bhp - unfortunately I cant make out what is stamped on the block.

I phoned vauxhall with the number in the registration document but they said they could tell and would I have a look at the engine block...................anyone any ideas?

regards

Chas