Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dodgy fuel pump

Snowman

mmmm on the eve of the Rumble.......

3 times today whilst stationary in traffic I heard a loud whirring/rattling noise, finally recognised it as the fuel pump going ballistic, for about 15 seconds or so, much louder & faster than when the ignition is turned on, (car is 1600 8v Vx).

Any soothsayers out there reckon I'll meet a 'Very nice man' tomorrow, (as in the old AA advert) 🤔

Anyone met this problem before, is it easy to source/replace before it shuffles off this mortal coil, or just a gremlin that might go away 🤔 He says hopefully.................

(Edited cos I can't speel)

Brrrrrrrrr..... *cool*

Edited by - Snowman on 20 Sep 2003 18:40:27

Is it one of those nasty Facet Interrupter type pumps, of recent vintage?, take it off and throw it away, fit a Weber pump, seems to be the new age thinking, me, I've got an old Facet interrupter pump that hasn't missed a beat in 13 years, some you win, some you lose, hope it yours doesn't crap out at to inconvenient place, which it will of course, have fun on the Rumble, Nigel.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.

Apart from a number of other problems with it, the Facet pump on my xflow does the same thing when the engine gets hot, ie 0ver 80c on the gauge. it stops as soon as things cool down again. Although i 've been caught in some major traffic jams and heat this year, it still seems to work o.k and the car keeps going despite the racket, it sounds as if the pump is running with no fuel going through it

Thanks for the replies all, fortunately I made it round most of the Rumble before having to find a railway station so that my navigator could get a train home before they packed up for the night.

The car's booked in for some other things in a few weeks so I'll get the pump looked at/binned then.

The Rumble was great fun, even more fun to open the garage this morning to find a pool of fluid under the radiator.... after much grovelling around checking hoses etc., I found that the screen washer bottle had been split by a stone *smile* *smile* *smile*

Brrrrrrrrr..... *cool*