Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What temp should fan switch cut in at?

Shaun_E

• Support Team

There are lots of threads at the moment regarding temperatures, I guess because of the hot weather or tours to foreign parts *cool*.

Can someone tell me the temperatures at which things should work on a K series?

1. Standard thermostat - I believe this should open around 88 degrees but can someone confirm?

2. Fan switch - what temp does it come on and what temp does it go off?

My new radiator (Radtec) seems to do a much better job of dumping heat, especially when car is moving. However in traffic the fan doesn't come on until over 100 degrees which I think is too late. Once it comes on it cools things down pretty quickly.

I intend to fit a manual fan override switch but would like the temp controlled one to work properly too.

Cheers,

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

• Support Team

Glenn - pretty sure that the fan switch is not airlocked as it is right next to the radiator top hose. I'll fit an override switch as soon as I can.

Andy - 85 degrees sounds too early as the thermostat isn't even fully open at that temperature. As you say it could be the gauge is not accurate.

Cheers,

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

• Support Team

Mark - cheers and thanks for your mail over the weekend. Thankfully it all went together in the end.

The fan switch Caterham supplied me with didn't seem to fit when I tried it and with an Ali radiator I was unwilling to force it. I had to take the switch out of the old radiator and that went in easily. Caterham assure me that there is only one fitting of switch and that given the number they get through (admission of fragility?) they would have spotted a problem by now with the batch.

Could they have shipped the wrong part? i.e. is there anything else that looks like a fan switch? Maybe the thread on the new one was just a little rough and would have gone in with a little more force applied but I am sure that the pitch of the thread was different to the old one.

I'm not sure what to do now - Caterham say send it back and they'll check it out and replace it but maybe it was the right part and it was just me being stupid *confused*.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

• Support Team

OK it was just me being stupid 😳. I tried the new fan switch in the old radiator and, with a bit of fiddling, it eventually fitted. Turns out that the thread on the switch was not very well finished which is why it wouldn't screw in to the new radiator properly. I screwed the switch in and out of the old radiator a few times to clean up the thread and then it went in the new one no problem.

Fan now comes on at a more respectable temperature in the low 90's.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Going purely on the temperature gauge in my R300, the fan kicks in at around 83-84C I'd say and clicks off again when the reading is a fraction under 80 - even in the hottest weather, it remains constant at a fraction over 80C

Like I say, only going by the gauge, but it's never hit 90C or even come close

SteveP