Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R 5 0 0

anthonym

Basically I want 260bhp and no extras required.

Preloved prices only need apply.

For road not track use, so screens a bonus; level floor sorted is required.

Cross reference: The Cosworth 1700 BDR for sale is mine, if I find what I am looking for.

Anthony

Edited by - anthonym on 9 Jul 2003 15:36:53

Greg, you're absolutely correct. I wasn't pointing to any connection between the BHP and the failure, just that he was the closest to 260bhp, but for the time being, is no more ☹️

*arrowright* *arrowright*Harry Flatters *arrowright* *arrowright* *thumbup*

AKA Steve Mell of Su77on Se7ens and Joint AO - Surrey

Anthony

With the utmost respect, it seems like you don't really know what you need *smile*

Question 1 - why do you want "260bhp"?

Whilst there is some undeniable appeal in big numbers, the reality of owning a car with this sort of power level might not meet the on paper promise for you.

I realise a number of people own cars of this power evel and more, and that my own opinions are just that. But coming from something like you already have, I suspect simply hiking power may not give you the jump in real world performance that you're probably looking for.

Something with a modest increase in power (or even the same power) but with superior dynamics might possibly endow you with an infinitely wider grin than chasing headline figures.

A bike engined car, or a light car engined variety (read K of, say, SLR spec or slightly over, or maybe a Duratec) could be the way to go.

I'd suggest you take some time and get test rides in a couple of bike engined versions, an SL, an SLR, an R500 and a powerful Vx. Don't just straight line them, take them on a handling trip, preferably on track. And then see which you like. All will offer very different sensations to your BDR and each other.

You might even find that you want to keep your BDR.

Bit presumptious of me maybe. But I had daft plans to chase 300bhp in my 7. As a stop gap whilst upgrading my SLRish spec car, I bought an R500. Made me realise that you don't exactly need that much more bhp than 200. Yep, the R500 was quicker in a straight line, but round a circuit the difference wasn't that great, and the pure enjoyment factor increase was even less so. More importantly the R500 is actually harder to use quickly on the road for a variety of reasons (a big bhp Vx will be too).

I p/x'd the R500 3mths after buying it and have canned any plans for further upgrades on the SLRish car. I'll enjoy that how it is and learn to drive better (as there are people in "lesser" spec cars that are quicker than me round a circuit...).

In todays market you'll get burnt if you decide the high power car isn't what you want.

For the record, the biggest number we saw from any rolling road run was 254 in the run when I borrowed Dave Jackson's long trumpets and fiddled to reduce top end over-fuelling slightly. Obviously this is subject to the vagaries of rolling road measurement.

It made 253bhp (without correction of the overfuelling) on normal trumpets and 251 bhp on its first run with long trumpets and with the overfuelling, so maybe in normal guise and with proper fuelling there was a larger number up for grabs. Jason Krebs may have gone a bit further and I seem to remember hearing 255bhp mentioned some time ago. It isn't going to be easy to coerce a K any further than this.

I will rebuild my big engine sometime, but not just now. If I make it as far as October I think the 1.6 engine will have been in for a complete year!!! Unheard of. I will have to start thinking about scheduling an oil change, but to be fair I don't do the miles these days.