Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Vx XE clutch slave cylinder

Beej

good point re testing the master cylinder - I'll try that first, just in case its something weird going on with the master cylinder.

The slave came as a complete unit with all new seals and external O rings. There is no loss of fluid and no problem with bleeding the system.

The "feel" of the clutch pedal is that everything is working as it should BUT I can't easily select a gear (ie disengage the driven plate from the pressure plate/flywheel). So, if I rule out the master cylinder it has to be a mechanical problem with the clutch itself.

I just talked myself into pulling the engine out again didn't I.

This is a real long shot................

You did remember to re fit the release bearing to the nose of the slave ?

(Yes I have done it...Yes I did feel a prat)

Otherwise, given what you have said it looks like a mechanical problem with the clutch unit.

As an aside, There is a chassis mod which allows you to remove your gearbox from inside the car without removing the engine. Paul Harvey used it at Nurburgring and managed to effect the change in a ridiculously short time. I keep meaning to have it done given the problems I have encountered with gearboxes/clutches but have never quite got round to it. Now I have a dog box I am expecting fewer problems....(watch this space )

Now i really regret not checking the clutch when I had the engine out first time...

its knackered. 2 of the coverplate side springs were broken (hence the swarf) and two mounting lugs were cracked right through (but you would never know unless you took it off) - hence it was only half releasing. Meanwhile the cerametallic plate was down to the rivets!!! How does that happen in 4000 miles?

The reason for posting this is that Helix have been really helpful - they can supply an uprated coverplate and either a solid or sprung driven AP 4 paddle ceremetallic driven plate. They say that their version of the sprung plate will NOT let go but I have played safe and gone for solid. So.. I just hope the box, diff and drive shafts are up to it?

Ah well - You live & learn. From now on you will spend loads of cash replacing perfectly good components "just in case". You'll also save the components that you've taken out "just in case" but never actually use them. They'll sit in the garage gathering dust.

BTW anybody want to buy a selection of used 'A' series components removed from my MG between 1989 & 1995 *smile*

you are so right..

anyone want a couple of Lotus twin cams, bullit box, race cam for a Rover V8, 4 barrel Holley, MGB wing mirrors and headrests, triumph hub bearings, brakes, Mk3 clutch etc etc etc?

I was sure I would use them one day..