Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Help please with over heating 7

barnes

I am a new owner of a Super 7 Ford Cross Flow 1600 and am experiencing cooling problems.

Not very technically minded so please excuse the ignorance but I have just changed the thermostat, connected a bigger radiator and checked the fan is working and the car still over heats.

Please someone help and make some suggestions as to what I could do to stop this problem

Thanks in advance

Next on the list of things to replace is to look at the water pump

However there is some milage in using water wetter and trying to seal off the gap between the nose cone and the radiator.

When my Xflow overeheated last weekend (faulty fan connection) the temp was reading 100

there was some boiling going on as the over flow was bubbling through.

What kind of temps are you seeing?

is the over heating in traffic or on a run?

Do you have a large fan blocking the airflow through the radiator?

Nick

What temp thermostat are you using ? - caterham supply 74C Ford one is either 80C or possible 88C

Have found that mine is running cooler this year - the main jets have been slightly increased in size.

Are you running the original "water loss" cooling system or have you a sealed system with expansion tank ?

Good luck

John

Ignore the gauge until it steams!

Check the water loss, mine needs topping up fortnightly (no one knows why) and clean the sender head with emery cloth to get a good circuit. Water wetter has been recommended before as a good additive.

Mine was still running with 2 pints instead of 8.5 of water in it, but I don't make a habit of it. *wink*

A paltry 99.9dB

thanks to everyone who replied. This has given me food for thought and i will be taking your advice and post what happens. Must go as I am looking to buy a Westfield as the Caterham is not much cop!!! (only joking boys would rather eat poo).

Cheers, be in touch