Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1.6 K......Nasty gearbox/engine noise at idle

Prisoner66

OK…1.6K series supersport engine, 6 speed gearbox. I am getting a noticeable mechanical rumbling chattering noise at idle when the engine is warm after a run. It appears to be coming from the bellhousing or rear of engine. It a rather nasty expensive sound, but goes completely when the clutch is depressed, it is not present when the engine is cold or simply warmed up before a run.

The car drives fine, gearchange OK and nothing amiss when driving apart from the noise at idle when you pull up at lights etc. The car is a 97 superlight with only 4000 miles and shows no signs of abuse at all. Gearbox appears to have oil etc…no leaks, unless of course it has all leaked out…yikes

My past experience and logic suggests to me that the clutch thrust bearing is giving the trouble….probably as a result of being left standing for months on end.

Any other ideas or other suggestions….or hopefully confirmations?

This has occurred on it's first real drive for some while I might add....hence the suspicion of thrust bearing...dry, slightly corroded etc

Still seeking number 1!

You're right, it's the Clutch Release Bearing. Others on this forum have diagnosed mine as being the same with identical symptoms to yours. Mines a '99 Superlight with 9000miles.

Some say it's a design fault and is not a reflection of the way the car has been driven/treated.

I'm told it's an engine out job to replace!!!

If you do a search for "Clutch Release Bearing" you'll find LOTS of discussion on the subject.

Thanks Gary.......this car is new to me and I wasnt completely sure....you know that feeling that it really could be something else! But at some stage I shall perhaps upgrade the box to latest mods and cure it once and for all then.

As you say it is an engine out job though and too much for a simple cheap thrust bearing on it's own 😬

Prisoner, it seems unlikely that the noise is clutch release bearing if it goes when you depress the clutch. Almost certainly it is the gears rattling on the layshaft, and as offputting as it sounds they really all do that with varying degrees of severity. Dont waste your time stripping out the engine. You'll know when the C/RB bearings gives up the ghost, they tend to squeel loudly when the clutch is depressed. Hope this helps.

*thumbup*

Thank you all for putting my mind firmly at rest..............I shall take the very best of the advice to keep the rattle to a minimum...KEEP DRIVING IT.. 😬

My first real experience of the 6 speed box on a daily basis and whilst all yer senses tell you it doesnt feel major.....it damn well sounds major. Could it be a case of investing in earplugs......Not to drown the engine/exhaust noise... 😬...Just the layshaft or whatever noise... *cool*

Yep, mine does that too, when hot & idling in neutral (even sometimes at very low speeds in 1st).

I was told it's the gears chattering & nothing to worry about - sounded like a diesel to me!

Cheers

Al