Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Replacing fuel pump gasket

Dartmoor7

This gasket has been changed twice on my car now and the tank came out both times. I would suggest the following:

Get one of James Whiting's gaskets and NOT the standard Rover one! The Rover one has large (and unecessary on a 7) cutouts around the bolt holes which were always going to cause problems with the Caterham tank.

Jack the car up as high as possible at the rear and drop the tank out of the bottom of the car.

Take the opportunity to re-paint any corroded chassis members.

Use some blue sealant on both faces of the gasket.

Good luck!

Ian 😬 1.6K SS Superlight #006

http://penn.lowflying.co.uk/

I changed my entire fuel pump this year. Just drain the tank below the level of the pump flange plate. Release the tank fixings so you can lift the right hand end of the tank and you should be able to remove the pump with the tank in situ.

*arrowright* *arrowright*Harry Flatters *arrowright* *arrowright* *thumbup*

AKA Steve Mell of Su77on Se7ens and Joint AO - Surrey

I disagree....

The job can be done without removing the tank.

Don't use any sealant.

Don't overtighten the screws.

It's possible that other gaskets will be better, my experience goes back to 1997. But as supplied from the factory with sealant it leaked, reassembled with a new standard gasket, clean surfaces and care over 'torqueing' it didn't.

Paul

I stand corrected on removing the tank then (assuming you don't have problems undoing any of the screws).

Whether or not you use sealant, I would still recommend using a non-standard gasket for reasons which will become apparent when you get the pump out. However, if you do decide to go with the standard gasket, then I completely agree with Paul's comments about overtightening since this will distort the face of the tank and cause it to leak.

Ian 😬 1.6K SS Superlight #006

http://penn.lowflying.co.uk/