Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K Series Oli Temp

MarkInstance

Hi all,

I have a 1.6 K series super sport. It seems to have a problem that the stack system is reporting the oli temp to 999 degrees C after about 5 mins of driving. I have checked the oil and there is plenty in there. The water temp is in the mid 80's when this happens and the oil pressure is reported at 999.

The red light is comming on and does not go out. Once the car cools down it looks like the temp is reported correctly but rises very quickly once driven.

I would be gratefull of any pointers you can give me.

Thanks

Mark

• Support Team

Mark,

Is there a loose connection somewhere? Off the top of my head, the 999 reading would occur if there was no sensor connected (check your "air temp" for example). Maybe as the temperature rises it is enough to increase the connection resistance so that the Stack does not see the sensor. It is a bit odd that both the oil temperature and pressure are affected though.

The temperature sensor could be on the Apollo tank or if you haven't got an Apollo then the sensor could be located in the sump plug.

Hope this helps but I'm no expert on this stuff - just lucky to have a Stack on my Superlight! I only had an oil temperature sensor added when the Apollo was installed - it wasn't part of the original set-up.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Shaun,

Thanks for you help... As I have only had the 2.5 months I thougth that I would call Caterham to see if there was anything they could do. Simon called me back and said that there was nothing he could suggest apart from taking the car in to them.

He did how ever tell me where the two sensors were ie the Oil temp and pressure. He told me that the oil temp was on the Apollo tank and that the pressure was by the oil filter. I found the pressure and one of the connectors had fallen off. I then reconnected it and seem to have oil pressure readings now.

Due to bing new to Caterhams I have no idea what an Apollo tank is let alone what it looks like. Simon told me that I could not miss it as it would have oil pipes all over it.. I looked under the bonnet and could only seen one thing that could have been it although I thought that was an air tank.. Basically this tank had pipes going to the injection system that did not look like oil pipes.

I checked the oil and then took the car for a run, this is what I found...

Started car Oil P = 52 Oil temp 20 C

Driving slow for a few mins Oil P between 58 - 72 Oil Temp rising to arround 80 C (Same as Water)

Drove Hard both stayed at the same values...

Breaking and slowing down. Oil pressure drops to around 50 and the temp rised to 999

Drive hard again and all looks OK.. Slow down and temp hits 999 C

Parked the car at Idle and oil pressure - 30... Temp 999

I then checked the oil again and at looke fine.

What should the oil pressure be on a hot engine at idle?... Mine is reving just under 1K

What does the Apollo look like and where will it be mounted?

I would be very grateful for any help

Thanks

Mark

• Support Team

Mark,

Yes the Apollo tank is so called because it looks like an Apollo space rocket (for those with an imagination) or a silver fairy liquid bottle for those who don't. It will have a braided pipe coming out the top. It sits in front of the engine on the nearside of the car just under the nosecone - you will see it more easily if you take the nosecone off. I haven't looked too closely on mine to see where the temperature sender is but I think it will be fairly obvious as it will be the only bit with a wire attached.

Your oil pressures sound fine - mine are around 60psi when revving cold dropping to high 50's once hot. At idle you will see just over 30 cold and high 20's hot.

Looks like your only problem is the oil temperature sender now so locate that on the Apollo, check the connection and you shold have it sorted - as I said a reading of 999 indicates no sensor attached.

For information, the Apollo tank is actually an air/oil separator - it removes air introduced by the crankshaft "whipping up" the oil in the sump. That air can cause cavitation in the hydraulic tappets - not good. The apollo also means there is more oil in the system and can help to reduce the effects of oil surge in long fast corners, although only a dry sump will prevent this.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Mark

sounds like a poor earth between battery and engine or sender and engine. It happended to my SLR.

Test by attacking a jump lead between Battery negative and engine block and see if problem persists. If it cures the problem do a permanent fix with an additional earth lead (mine needs two for some reason!!) if it persists check the wire beween sender and engine block, worth replacing to check

Mark

Hi All,

Thanks for all you help. I have now contacted Caterham Technical and they have told me that my car was not fitted with an Apollo tank when new. I have pretty sure the the last owner has not made any upgrades to the oringal spec. They are now telling me that I should not be getting any oil temp readings at all.

I have booked the car in for them to take a look at on Saturday, As I bought it from them 2.5 months ago I am hoping any problems will be covered by warrenty..

Thanks again for you help

I will let you know How I get on on saturday..

Mark.

Hi all,

Just had a call from Simon @ Caterham. My car has now been fixed. This was done by replacing the oil temp sender. It would seem that my car has a this fitted behind the alternator. Simon said that he has not seen one fitted there before...

Just another place to check if this comes up again.

Thanks again

Mark

That isn't the most brilliant place for an oil temp sender if it is placed in the filter head at the point designed for a pressure take-off. The problem is that the pipework is not particularly big there and to get a reading a temp sender needs to be thoroughly in the flow, causing significant restriction. I would look at resiting that sender somewhere more usual.