Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sorry...luddite tyre question

RogNeedham

• Leadership Team

Apologies for being bone idle and not checking old blatchats...advice please.

On my 91 X/flow dedion I have four(at the last count).....wait for it..Goodyear Eagle NCT 2 195/50R15s. Despite a good thrashing round Cadwell last year they appear as intact and wear free as the day I got the car from Caterham in October 2000.

I see lots of chat re ACBs and others. I only do c.2 trackdays a year so mostly used for road.Should I a) stick with 15" (ooeerr most blokes'd be quite happy with that!!) and change the rubber, b) down size to 14" with different rubber, or c) a mixture of the two and keep 15" and new rubber and have a second set of tyres for trackday. Oh no I've confused myself now *confused* *confused*

Prisoner wheels look good but........................help

Rog

Simple, Keep the NCT's on the 15's for the road or take them off the wheels for Bonfire night. Buy a set of 13inch wheels from Polleys (see the archive) with 21'rs or 32r's thrown in and only use them on the track.

My bet is when you see how good the 13's are with road legal soft Yokohama rubber the 15's will just sit in the garage gathering dust, as numerous others have found out. Wouldn't go for ACB's at this stage as they are pricey and have a shorter life that the Yoko's and as most of your driving is on the road, where wet weather makes them a 'drive carefully' tyre.

Edited by - Graham Perry on 17 Apr 2003 21:21:49

Rog,

My SV came with 15 inch wheels with Avon ZV1s and they seemed like really good street tyres. Than I put on some light weight rims and ACB-10s, what a difference. And the weight difference between wheel and tyre sets in 85 pounds! Well, that's including the spare with the street tyres and not including it with the track tyres. A noticalbe difference though.

Roger,

try and get to your local area meet.

I'm sure you'd find people with spare sets of tyres who'd be willing to either take you out in their cars to show you the difference or possibly let you borrow their spare tyres to try on your car. You never know 🤔

Where are you based ?

my point of view (with the budget in my mind) is :

A539 Yoko in 15" very good on the road, interesting on circuit until you have not tried 032 in 13"

very cheap

032 not too expensive but you have to buy a set of minator the first time.

This tyre is really made for the circuit use

in wet or more exactly standing water : tricky

If your mileage per year is not high (expensive set cr500 in 15"), good everywhere, other says (not tried myself)

My advise : go first for A539 in 15" and enjoy them

If you have some more money to spend : buy 13" minator and 032

when worn, go for 021 in 185/60 and 185/70

or find a friend who have them and do the test

13" are better feeling but running cost higher in 021 032

eric