Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Torque value for Mazda 5-speed gearbox drain plug

Doc007

I’m changing the gearbox oil on my 2016 Duratec engined 7 with a Mazda 5 speed gearbox but don’t have the torque value for the drain plug. Or the fill plug for that matter! And the plug comes with a silver (aluminum?) washer for which I don’t have a replacement. Can it be reused?

• Area Representative

Do not have the torque values but a good sensible grunt 'feeling' the tightness usually does the job.. 

I would imagine the sealing washer can be reused. My Gold Plug has same & its condition is good considering the plug has been removed & refitted several times. If you cannot source a new alloy washer use very fine wet & dry on a flat surface just to polish up any slight grooving. Or source a copper washer of the same size.

There are alloy crush washers.  Those don't need to be bottomed out to work.  They help seal between two uneven surfaces.  On those, have the hard side under the bolt head, hand tight to stop then a quarter turn with wrench.

There are other options.  A Dowdy seal of the proper size.  Any rubber seal will be hand tight, meaning as tight as you can with a palm wratchet, not an extended handle.

Whatever you do, watch the seal afterwards and have a wrench with you to snug it down if needed.

Tighter isn't always better. Try a different seal.  Save the threads.

Edited by Iamscotticus