Click here if you are having website access problems ×

BDR cambelt change in situ?

Gridgway

I'm investigating a cambelt change on my BDR (it's probably original from when the motor was built in 2001 and not used since 2008.  However things are very tight at the front of the motor.  From the BDA manual I have got it says that the adjustment pulley needs to come off and it certainly looks like it.  There is definitely not enough room to get the pulley off with the crossmember in front of it.  That looks to me to be an engine out job.

Anyone done it in situ?

And I've also found a drop of coolant of the lower front cross-member.  I can't see how that can be leaking from the hoses/rad, so I suspect water pump which is definitely an engine out job.  I think my aspiration of getting the car "quickly" back on the road is going to fail.

Just got back in from the garage.  I had another go and it turns out that you can change the belt with the engine in and leaving the tensioner pulley in situ.  It would be a lot easier if you could take the pulley off, but with a suitable amount of pull-pushing, deft hand wriggling and a lot of loud cursing, it's back together.  I've come in to regain a sense of calm then I'll go back to it and double check the belt is in the right place and tension it up.