Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K-series manifold and Leather Oxted seat pads

Hooley

Dear Santa,

I know it's a bit early for Christmas, but I thought I'd put it out now as the traffic on the new site seems quite high.

Anyone have a manifold 4-2-1 for the K-series? Chatting with a few tuning houses and they all identified my exhaust side as a major flaw in getting the right power characteristics.

My current manifold is the 4-1, and exits the car as a single, which apparently is the worst of all worlds. Anyone got anything lying in the back of the garage they aren't using?

Also on the Christmas wish list is a pair of Oxted leather pads for the Tillett seats. I saw a few sets go earlier this year, and wondered if there are any about to be sold?

Thanks in advance

Jason

Jason,

I was in the same situation as you re exhaust. I spent a year looking for a second hand 4-2-1 but none came up. I looked at getting a new system made but was expensive. In the end bought bought an SLR system from Caterham. It took about 6 months and a lot of pesting as they were out of stock and had to get a batch made but finally arrived last Christmas. Worth contacting them.

JulianIMG_4900.thumb.jpeg.e98ce9afab39703e1f3625f065bce95a.jpeg

• Area Representative

Jason - just  thought... I've read that the silencer you have is actually quite efficient and definitely worth keeping. It's the exhaust manifold that is the problem (you probably already know this), so if you could find a company that that can make up a manifold that can they match your silencer, it might save you a few ££££££.

Also your existing exhaust is really easy to remove and give to said exhaust fab.company to match a new manifold. 

I suppose an important question is what is the constriction in the original?

Is it the way the 4 pipes join? or is it the shape/size of the pipes as they leave the head? Or both?

I know on Elise's that the pipes are around 35mm for below 170bhp engines and larger for more power, so assuming larger is better.

Cheers

Jason

What power increase do the 4-2-1 manifolds give?

on my Elise (std apart from 135 cams) the smaller bore 4-2-1 manifold gave a great increase of mid high end power torque, no dyno figures to show this but my butt dyno showed great improvements.

I also tried a large bore manifold and this was a huge down grade on my engine spec.

I’ve just fitted a 52mm throttle and 135 cams to my 1.6 K caterham and this was my next upgrade choice.

so interested in the results.

On 24/10/2023 at 13:25, jody391 said:

What power increase do the 4-2-1 manifolds give?

on my Elise (std apart from 135 cams) the smaller bore 4-2-1 manifold gave a great increase of mid high end power torque, no dyno figures to show this but my butt dyno showed great improvements.

I also tried a large bore manifold and this was a huge down grade on my engine spec.

I’ve just fitted a 52mm throttle and 135 cams to my 1.6 K caterham and this was my next upgrade choice.

so interested in the results.

What difference did the cams make?