Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New helmet for 2024

Alan Bowler

I spoke with MUK this afternoon re helmet standards and expiry dates. The guy was quite helpful but could not give any definitive answers other than  FIA standard trumps Snell. So if you have dual standard FIA 8859-2015 and SA2015 then it can still be used after the Snell expiry date of 31.12.26. So his argument was that the FIA8859-2015 will have at least 4 years or more. 

It was suggested that if you wanted to be certain of a later epiry date then the FIA 8860-2018 would be a better bet but, of course, more expensive. I think 8860 are all Carbon?

• 5 weeks later...

I picked up a ZAMP helmet at Autosport for £279. Happy with quality and fit. SA2020, no FIA sticker. Hopefully MSUK will allow it for a few years. Headtec were also there, £200 (show price) for SA2020 but it didnt fit as well, and the ZAMP felt better quality to me.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Leadership Team

Right, having entered the Championship and secured entries at Prescott, I guess I should extract my head from the sand and start looking into helmets again in earnest.   Still struggling to get my head around the interplay between FIA and Snell.  Has anyone else had a moment of clarity?