Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K-Series Engine Loom Lambda/Crank Pos Copper Sheathing

Dom Williams

Good morning all,

I have recently had my engine loom out for a clean-up whilst the engine is out of the car. After getting through the 26 year old sticky mess that used to be electrician's tape, I arrived at the wiring underneath.

I came across the copper sheathing that I imagine shields the lambda and crank position wires from the power lines - at the top of the loom near the ECU this sheathing extends out the PVC sleeving and is then crimped into the earth wire running down the loom; picture found here:

https://1drv.ms/i/s!ApJ3UNdoA4Zhhf0eNhB4KvPClNhAhA?e=6dgAr9

What is the reason for doing this? Is it a "just in case" there happens to be current in the sheathing it goes it ground? Is it necessary or can I trim back the sheathing to the end of the sleeving and then redo the crimp connector for something much thinner/less encumbursome in the loom?

Thanks in advance.

Yours,

Dom

For the screen to be effective it needs to earthed at the ECU end only, holding it at ground potential. Don't earth the sensor end or you will get earth current pulses flowing in the screen which will couple onto the sensor wires, but do make sure it remains well earthed at the top end.