Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Front suspension. Lower spherical joint.

Silver Machine

Bit of play on lower front bearing. Caterham have this part available. However a previous post suggested trying Nigel at Strand Bearings. Nigel who seems to be a very personable chap says he can help but would need some form of part number. Can you folks help with this. Many thanks.

Oh, by the way, it took 45kN to press my old ones out.  Its not a vice job unless you're very lucky.

Its worth re-fitting them with some 620/648 loctite as the new ones will probably be a little loose in the bores once the old ones have been pressed out.

If you have the right sized sockets with one that is slightly less that the bore size and large enough to press on the bush metal outer and the other with an inner size that is large enough for the bush to fit into, then 12mm or 1/2" studding passed through the sockets (assuming they are 1/2" drive) with nuts and washers either end can be used to extract or insert the bush. I have done this successfully with the deDion centre and A-Frame bushes in the past.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on replacement. Joints removed and replaced using aerodods method. This method allowed me to replace in situe rather than removing the wishbone. Passed MOT yesterday. So thanks again for advice on supply and fitting. During the work I noticed a very slight amount of coolant had leaked from the weld on my less than 12 month old Radtec radiator . So the work continues for this home mechanic.