Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Roll bar for 1995 LA (long cockpit???)

Gridgway

Following a discussion on PH, what's the situation with roll bar options for a 1995 LA Caterham?  There is a "track day" option on the Caterham Parts website, but out of stock.

Mine does look super flimsy!  Jusy wondered what the alternatives might be.

ETA: I assume I'd need something more beefy for a club trackday?

Cheers Graham

#2 not really looking for a cage thanks, just a rollover bar.

#3 this is what I am unsure about.  The FIA bar from the later chassis I don't think will fit.  Not sure of the correct designation of my chassis.  It's the one that doesn't have adjustable pedals and the pedal box cover.  The roll bar is pretty flimsey and only bolts in from above.  Doesn't have the bolts that go into it from underneath with the flatter heads.

Here's the one on the caterham parts site.  Not sure if it's right or not (but no stock anyway).

track day bar

As #3, call Arch with your chassis no and they should be able to sort a bar to suit. The rearward facing braces sat on top of the rear edge of the boot on the earlier cars. Later cars had the lower mounting point, as your link and I guess what you'll need. I'd go for a petty strut as well. I don't know if the later supplied bars are stronger but I've seen the period bars fold far enough to hurt. Also check the height if you're using a standard type adjustable seat. I'm 5ft 9 and use a single seater fixed plastic seat that puts me about an inch off the floor and gets about 3" clearance above helmet with a standard FIA bar.  
hope this help
Rob

To conclude here...  I spoke to Phil at Arch, he was very helpful and quoted about £420 to make a new one.  I also got contacted on PH by someone who has upgraded to a cage, so I have biught his old one.  I'll get it blasted and re-powder coated and quite possibly colour matched to the car.  Bare ally with yellow nose and green wings.  Yellow or green for the bar I wonder?