Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Whoops! A Bit More Pad Wear Than Expected

Before the last track day I had 3mm minimum of pad left, normally would use about half that per day (as these are harder than standard DS2500 pads, too), but the outside rear right pad had other ideas:

67424888688__6C545955-2A3F-4C26-A8EC-4D034849DB99.thumb.jpg.d9966356ed1316aae7f1eb6ec5268f41.jpg

Perhaps should have done an inner to outer right caliper pad swap beforehand, too, although the caliper slides freely on the pins and I have flexible brake lines, the outer right pad always seem to be the one that wears the most. Luckily it probably only had a small amount of metal-to-metal contact for a few kilometres, the brake disc shows no sign of damage.

Hi James, look, I'm not familiar with this brake set up, but my first call would be to check freedom of movement of the calipers and pistons, from your image this kind of lopsided wear is possibly from the pad not retracting from the disc, (sticking piston) or the caliper not being able to centralise when released. Just a cople of thoughts.

The caliper sliders are definitely free Nigel, they push in with light finger pressure and pop out just from the springiness of the rubber boots. The pistons also retracted into the caliper with expected effort when rotating to fit new pads. There is also no evidence of fouling or jamming in any way, although one possible explanation is a stone or tyre OPR was temporarily in a position to stop the caliper sliding and has since fallen out.

From a pad wear perspective they start off with 8mm when brand new, this time I finished off with about 1.5mm on the outer left, 2mm on the inner left, 3mm on the inner right and 0mm on the outer right. Visually they all looked to be above 3mm before the start of the track day when I swapped the wheels.

I had done a pad position swap as usual about halfway through the pad useful life (when around 5mm remaining on each pad) a couple of track days ago, but perhaps wasn't paying attention properly when I swapped the highest wear pad for the lowest wear one, not necessarily putting them into the correct position.