Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Live axle (marina) diff replacement.

Nigel Riches

I have finally decided to shift the diff I bought years ago off the bench and onto the car.

So, do I need to drop the A frame? or any other stuff to do with the chassis, I have the Haynes pubs about removing and refitting the diff, in relationship to a Morris Marina (thanks Wrightpayne), just need to get under and do it. And I do have a set of new gaskets, came with the unit.

Any input gratefully received.

Cheers.

Nigel.

OK got 55 views and no info.

So I have been under the back of the car yesterday, and it appears removal of the "A" frame is the way to go, that's what's happening sometime soon, after the engine is out to sort the gearbox oil leak, 250ml in about 200 miles *yikes*, not to mention all the mess. Happy daze. And strangely further up today Tech Talk entries is a question about the same 'box I have , a Quaife, straight cut, close ratio, and what oil type to use, however it was oil tight before the previous removal, but I used different oil on the refill, oh well bash on.

Cheers and regards.

Nigel.

Nigel, 

It's relatively straightforward, Ian ( Wrightpayne), and I took mine out, really helps to have an extra pair of hands.

Put pipe lagging on the bottom chassis rails below the axle. Disconnect the propshaft, drop the A frame, we left the front bolts in place, disconnect the brake line on the offside, take photos and measure how the handbrake is set up, then disconnect it, disconnect the bottom shocker bolts, release the radius arms from the axle, bobs your uncle. Remember 4 hands make light work!

Alan

Thanks Alan, may have to ask around for some company under the car. Definitely don't want the Missus there. *mad*

Mr. Wrightpayne sent me copies of Haynes manuals he had about the rear axle and braking set up, so I'll be in the garage some time again soon, probably tomorrow as rain is on the menu.

Thanks.

Nigel.