Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Caterham 6 spd Gearbox - Technical manual/literature

Croc

There used to be a technical manual available for the Caterham 6 speed gearbox.  I believe it was prepared by Caterham for their dealers.  Does anyone have a copy they can please send me?   Happy to pay for copying/postage if its not scanned/emailable.  

Many Thanks!

mike

Ok sadly from the resounding silence I think we are struggling!

If it is any consolation I am taking mine out in the next month or so and doing a refresh and replacing a good few parts, my plan is that because there's precious little available I will somehow youtube it into bits size chunks and put as much detail as I can on there.

Bear in mind though pretty well "self taught" mechanic and whilst I am fussy I aint no engineer. Have done similar before though and as long as you're methodical and careful its fairly straightforward......Famous last words along with "What Indians?" - general Custer...... 

• Leadership Team

At risk of sounding as though I'm his fan boy, David Long (DCL, Duratec in Detail, etc) may be your friend here.  Have a look here (link below) and then follow the leads to read his other posts on the 6-speed box.

https://www.facebook.com/Duratec.in.detail/posts/back-to-the-caterham-six-gearbox-and-a-brief-post-about-how-to-get-it-to-bits-it/2107573309333953/

James

Thank you James - that is a find I was not aware of.  Its the most information I have seen online of what I am contending with.  Mind you, David's gearbox photos look better than what I suspect is in mine after its catastropic fail and lock up last weekend on track!

Thanks again

mike

James - Not much to show other than a puddle of fluid underneath - casing is cracked.   I was happily lapping, felt one "smooth but tight/short" change on downshift, no noises, no warnings, thought "that does not feel quite right", backed off slightly and 3 seconds later it locked up solid to the point of spinning me around with the rear end hopping and ended up neatly parked on an apex unable to move without many nasty noises.  Fortunately it was the slowest corner on track (55mph) which is a relief as 3 corners earlier was a 110mph sweeper corner.  It let go on a corner just where you have to lift throttle to transition from right to left.  I think that throttle lift and unloading the gearbox was just the excuse for the transmission to lock up.  Never had a gearbox go without some warning before so that was a new one for me.  

I thought it was broken diff but investigation in the pits made it clear the nasty noises were from the gearbox.  Problem is on the output side of the gearbox as I can select gears smoothly and even use the clutch and feel it take up.  Not upset as it is 10,000 miles, nearly all track, so it had a good life.  

New 6 speed gearbox secured so I can keep blatting and I will try to salvage/rebuild the old gearbox. I have not tried to tear it down yet - car is sitting in the naughty corner of the garage awaiting arrival of new gearbox in mid-August.   I suspect gearbox may be dead giving the casing leak of fluid. 

I had similar damage to a 6 speed about 12 years ago. SP components of Redditch repaired the casing and 'refreshed' in innards. Mine went in what sounds a similar situation. Diagnoses was that the lay shaft had moved from where it should have been and made a bid to escape the casing.