Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Looking for some advice on IVA test

Jonathanj999

Evening Caterham drivers - I'm a newbie to the make and looking for some help with what could be a fairly unique situation.  I purchased an unregistered 2009 Caterham from a garage in Somerset - the history was that it had been built over several years by a guy up in Derbyshire, it went to Caterham Midlands for electrical connections and pre-IVA - then back to owner but never got to the IVA test as the owner unfortunately died.  

I bought it as a well-priced Caterham wanting to get the full experience and have recently applied to get an IVA test - the problem is that the technical people at the DVLA have rejected it as not having adequate proof of amateur build.  It was a probate sale and so there is no real history other than the original order form from Caterham, an invoice from Caterham for the pre-IVA, an MOT from 2018.  I have obtained a Certificate of Newness from Caterham.

Looking desperately for any ideas how I can convince DVLA it is amateur build and get my test done as I need to drive this car

Thanks

Jonathan

Could Caterham Cars possibly supply evidence that the car was originally purchased as a Starter Kit (body-chassis unit)?Anything not assembled and sold complete by them could, I believe, count as amateur built.

If it was built up over a number of years, the components were probably not all purchased or sourced at once. But if a Certificate of Newness is available, it must have surely been purchased originally as a Starter Kit (at least) and presumably a significant proportion of the parts known by Caterham to be new. 

This situation, or one similar, must surely have arisen in the past...

EDIT: apologies - just noted that you have the original order - so much of my original suggestion is already satisfied (unless they are prepared to furnish copies of invoices for other parts). Somewhat baffled here as I'd have thought an application for IVA from a private individual would seem, by definition, to say 'amateur built'.
Sorry, not much help am I ...

Have Caterham South put it through the IVA, pay a little money and save the headache for them, I know they did that for one of the kits they gave to schools to build which had become 'orphaned', sat for a few years unfinished, and some Caterham owners donated money time and effort to getting it finished IVAed and sold .

Caterham do say, repeatedly, in their IVA guidance that you should take plenty of photos during the build, as evidence that it was built by an amateur.  Pictures should include the 'builder' him/herself as well.  A selection of the photos has to be provided at some point during the IVA application, but I can't remember when?

Obviously you can't provide photos now, but I got the impression at the time we built ours that they would consider other evidence. I would have a chat with Caterham and see if they have any suggestions.