Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series oil level

p.mole1

I know this has probably been discussed many times but I can't seem to be able to see the oil on the dipstick. I have a Apollo tank with a VVC head with non VVC cams. I check the oil with the engine running but it is almost impossible to read the dip stick, Is there an alterative dip stick?   Up to now when I do a track day if I notice any oil surge I top it up with oil but I may be over filling it. 

From my notes:

I've used these myself. They're a "flat ribbon" with a bit of a ball on the end. They're the right length, but because of the design they only bend one way so you have to insert them the right way around to get them down the tube.  Other than that they are fine.

The Ford dipstick if much better, however buy genuine Ford. The first ebay special went into the bin Chinese rubbish. £27 for a genuine Ford part ! You can get away with standard plastic Rover dipstick if you re-mark the oil level, however it is still not as easy to read as the Ford offering and they seem to have a habit of snapping.