Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CSR Differential Removal - can't get the long top bolt out. Any ideas?

MarkTheGoose

When I went to grease the propshaft, it was all a bit unsatisfactory and I wasn't sure when it had last been done and what condition the UJ's were in, so I decided to remove it for stripping & inspection. The main driver for this was because David Brown's propshaft had failed on a similar age/mileage CSR. When I got it out, there was a bit of play in the front UJ, so it's been off to Dave Mac in Coventry for a full refurbish & balance.

Only way to get propshaft out is the whole rear suspension, brakes, driveshafts, diff off process.

Mine is a ZF LSD, so it's having new oil from R&R Transmissions, but not going off for a service. It's one of the quietest Caterham LSD's I've come across 

In case anyone is wondering how to do this and finds it in the archives, I paid rather more attention when doing it for a second time. The technique is to push the front end up and start lowering the back on a trolley jack. When you have access pull out the breather. Then as you lower the back end, start rotating the diff to 90 deg from the original orientation, almost like unscrewing it from the chassis, and drop down vertically with the drive shaft outputs pointing front and rear. 
The installation is the reverse with it balanced vertically on the trolley jack and you can rotate it when the shaft outlets clear the chassis members. 
Hope that helps.