Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How do I fold back internal panels after partial removal?

TomB

My internal side panels have been loosened at the top around the cockpit opening to allow for respraying and new external panels.  Now they look a bit battered with a soft crease where they have been manhandled.  Any suggestions on how I can flatten these out a bit prior to fitting?  Or do I simply rivet them back on and any crease/ deformities will work out? 

IMG_1661.JPG.d2b28797314c304475bc8e77a68106b3.JPG

Also, the panels have been pushed around the edge of the carbon dash, and unless I rebend them, Im going to struggled to get them back under the dash.  Am I best filing a bit off the dash, or filing a slight dip in the ali panel, or something else?  

IMG_1660.JPG.5e20b696ef76736d25f7a36e4634aa1b.JPG

When I was at Arch, Bruce flattened the edge of the shoulder panels with a metal hand tool that looked like a vertical section had been taken through a domestic iron, with a handle at the top and a flat edge at the base for flattening out the metal.  

If you get some bar section ((say 40mm dia) metal billet, could you roll out the creases without damaging the powder coat?  The top edges of the inner skin may benefit from a roll of J section profile rubber strip to trim the top edge with the long section of the J against the outermost face.