Click here if you are having website access problems ×

- R500 K series wanted

mike150

I have a good friend looking for a car at the moment. Sevens and Classics have a purple one in but he hates the colour so it's a no go. Are there any owners selling? Anything considered. PM me please, thanks...... Michael.

the engine refresh recommended every 24,000 road miles (8,000 track miles) is what I suspect is the killer when selling. If you haven't had all the fun of those 24,000 miles why would you want to pay for them in a very expensive  (thousands) engine rebuild - "refresh" being a laughable euphemism. and even if has been "refreshed" what parts weren't "refreshed" because at that time they didn't "need" it?

all said with "feeling". 

R500 K IS fun though ! :-)

edit: what about a "wrap" to a different colour? anyone priced that?

interesting, that one appears to have no heater, a shortened passenger footwell, battery installed where it would have been but therefore lower down by the primaries.. it's done 8,000 miles (doesn't say what sort) , has side intrusion bar.. wonder if was once full cage . The list of "features" is pretty much a list of standard spec items for an R500 K and they want 27k... I saw one for 31k nearly 20 years ago. Very Interesting... and those seats.. no mention of proximity to refresh, IF those are all track miles it's due right now and c/would be a reason for the previous owner selling, or if road miles it has 16,000 to go.

Does it have to be an R500 official? I have been enquiring about R300/400s recently and had a few cars offered to me with 220+ bhp, with lovely specs. I don't want more than 200bhp bit I'd be happy to connect if that is helpful.

I have been thinking about parting with mine- but unsure what to get - my son would like to do a few trackdays and autotests so I am thinking about a more entry level low power competition  7. My car is number 33 and as far as I can make out is unmodified.

I read all the stories about the engine and track / race use.  It did not put me off as one could be unlucky with any other type of engine (and many friends with other types of cars who do trackdays autotests  rallying have been in this position) my car is coming up to 20k and had a rebuild at around 11k at Minister.  Kevin Dance (ex CC) who lives in these parts looked over the car last year and will do that for me this year.  He says the stories are unfounded as in some ways Minister wanted the ongoing work and also needed to cover themselves when a few did initially at the beginning go tits up.  There is another ex CC chap who lives here on the IOW who was heavily involved in the R500 project and apparently had something to do with Minister and the original spec so there are people out there who know the engines and can deal / have the experience with any issues. Not sure about Dave Andrews these days but he could also deal with any woes - at the end of the day its old school performance now and is only nuts and bolts.