Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Reverse Light Blowing Fuse

CtrMint

Separated from an earlier thread, 

https://www.lotus7.club/forum/techtalk/start-my-car-today-help-over-coolant-ratio

A quick summary of the situation,

• Reverse light fuse blows if the reverse gear is engaged on the gear lever.  
  • The fuse is shared with the brake light fuse.
  • When the brake pedal is depressed the fuse is fine and the brake lights work fine.
  • The reverse light has been disconnected at the rear and the fuse still blows when reverse is engaged.
  • I believe I connected the gear switch adapter to the forward most (black) gearbox connection, although not confirmed.
  • The reverse light ground loom connection has continuity with the ground on the fuel tank.
  • The reverse light positive loom connection does not have continuity with the fuel tank ground, without the reverse engaged.  (This might be a pointless test)

I'm not knowledgeable on how the reverse switch works, I'm assuming its just a serial switch which closes the circuit to the reverse light, so essentially doesn't have a polarity.  Assuming I've connected the loom to the correct plug there's very little that could go wrong there, so limited reason to pull up the tunnel cover.

Beyond this I'm stuck.   Your help would be very much appreciated.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Based on that information the switch is shorting to earth when reverse is engaged, which for me can only mean two things, fault switch or wrong connection, let’s hope it’s the latter because replacing the switch might be an engine out job on a Mazda box.

Edit - maybe not if you work from underneath with a crows foot spanner

Have you got the wiring diagram for your car?

On older cars the positive feed went to the lamp unit and was earthed via the reverse switch in the gearbox - opposite to the normal way of auto wiring.

Check the wiring diagram and see how the circuit should work. Then, with a multimeter check for voltage at relevant points. I.e. if the lamp has a positive feed check for that. If the switch has the live feed check there.

If it is positive feed to the lamp, it shouldnt need an earth at the lamp.

First thing check the wiring diagram.

Ian

I've removed the passenger seat and tunnel top and disconnected the switch loom connection.

If I do a continuity test between each of the pins on the loom to the gearbox housing, I get a connection, meaning they are both connected to ground???  Totally confused...  *spin*

There is a loom diagram in the 2015 assembly guide but it only shows connections on the loom rather than a circuit diagram.

I've checked both the pins on the gearbox connection for continuity with the car's ground, there isn't any, so open circuit which I assume is good.  I was looking to see if the cable down the side of the box was damaged but it seems OK.

In the absence of a wiring diagram you need to work out were the supply is coming from. If as Ian has said it is going first to the light and then to the switch it gives you an idea of where to start looking for problems. Now you have all the connectors disconnected, can you turn the ignition on and test all the loom connectors to find out where the 12v supply comes from.

Alastair

Are your switch connections Green and Green Brown?  If the are Green comes from the fuse supplying both brake switch and reverse switch, if the Green Brown wire goes to the reverse light.  So if your switch wires are giving a good earth when reverse is selected then the switch is faulty.

Looking at the loom diagram I think it's something like this.

[0 / 0] = Gearbox switch

[*LIGHT*] = Light bulb.

G37 [0 / 0]  GN137  gear box —> GN137 Rev light [*LIGHT*] B13

I'm assuming G37 is the ground, and B13 is positive, though I can't find either on the loom diagram.

Jim, 

I'm not quite following you, but continuity test the switch indicates its fine.

Remove your brake light bulbs (or disconnect the rear lights) disconnect the reverse light and remove the fuse.  Then test your G37 and GN137 wires, are they earth?  If they are disconnect the reverse switch, if the wires are still earth, then the loom is the problem, if not then the switch it is.

Ok this may not be the done thing, but is what I would do to rule out the switch. Assuming you can spare another fuse, get a short length of wire and bodge a connection between the two pins on the loom where it would connect to the switch, thus bypassing the switch and see if the reverse light works. Just remember to reconnect the loom to light connection first. If it works ok then it is definitely the switch.

It's not the switch at fault then. Before you completely rule it out, check that there is no way that the piece of wire you used could have touched ground by mistake, otherwise you could be going on a wild goose chase. Now you are going to have to do as Chris C suggested and disconnect the brake lights and check the loom sections for ground.