Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Duratec R300 / R400 silencer re-packing

mike150

After a bit of advice............

I've just discovered my large Duratec caterham silencer could do with new packing as when its held up you can hear the packing sliding up and down in the can, I'd say about a third of the packing is gone judging by this. The car sounds ok as in its not overly noisy.

Its an original polished Cheeseman silencer and is riveted at the front, my question is has anyone drilled off the rivets and opened one of these up successfully? I don't want to drill them off to find its a hammering session to open up and in doing so, not worth it as I'll do more damage than good!

If its ok to do I'll get some Acousta-fil, some new stainless rivets and re-do it.

Thanks

I recall a previous post was made by someone who has done exactly what your describing so worth a trawl of the archives to see what you can find but, from memory, I think it was more than just a case of drilling out the rivets Andy popping off the end cap.

i’ve a feeling there was some talk of the pipe internally that runs through the silencer being one piece and that this needed cutting with a dremel. Exhaust then came apart and was refilled but then you need to find some way of getting the now 2 separates parts of internal pipe to marry with one another on reassembling.

Tom

I'd encourage you not to be put off by what you read - especially given the cost of a new silencer and given that it's a one-off job ...

I've done it and it's not as difficult as you might think from reading the posts - and, after all, there's little to lose ...

But it's your decision ...

Adam