Click here if you are having website access problems ×

420R sump / sump protection picture request

ChrisC

Hi All 

I am looking for some example photos of help the 420R plastic wedge sump protection should be fitted. 

I suspect mine is fitted incorrectly, as a result of a poorly fitted dry sump, which has leaked oil from the rear near the flywheel since fitting. 

Photos from a kit or a recent factory build with the same spec would be prefect. 

IMG_2237.jpg.a7e29400c1703290a7ebe3aeaa411035.jpg

So here is my sump protection.

The bolt from the bell housing into the protection block (marked with the red arrow) does not align with the threaded. whole in the plastic block.   There are no fixings through the hole on the bottom (blue arrow),  Green arrow shows the only set screws fixings fitted.   Orange arrow shows a gap between the sump and the protection.   Yellow arrow the oil. 

Does this look right?

Can you confirm blue arrow holes don't have fixings, and a bolt through from the bell housing, and do you have the orange gap?  

Chris.

IMG_20181118_140440200_0.thumb.jpg.83087721a7604281df82f92d52e649b2.jpg IMG_20181118_140529482_0.thumb.jpg.04a32050692571a6dd093f5faba601d0.jpg

Hi Chris,

You should have 2 shoulder bolts at red arrows plus the 2 screws at green arrow. Nothing at blue arrow. 

Have you got the shoulder bolts with the reduced thread size, or are you trying to fit standard cap head bolts as per rest of bell housing?

If you remove the plate, clean behind it and refit with shoulder bolts first, but only lightly tightened, and then screws. I found this to be easiest.

If you have removed the finger filter when changing oil, this will find it's way behind plate. I always remove plate when changing oil to avoid this.

I am 100% sure I could do a better job, problem is the oil leak, which the company that fitted the dry sump has already had one attempt to stop, but it still continues.   So it’s got to go back to them, but I will use your photos for how it should’ve been done. 

Caterham do still sell this alternative, although I suspect the nylon wedge should offer more protection.

https://caterhamparts.co.uk/oil-system/4344-dry-sump-guard-r3-4-500.html

I replaced mine a few months back with like for like.  The old one was very bashed and you can see the amount of protection it gave, or didn't.  (Ex-R300 Championship race car.)

IMG_6406.thumb.jpg.7ac9eb08981740feed4e0208891c12f7.jpg

This is my concern - I have one of these as well, and there is just no way it would fit my car.   The sump is to low, covering the bolt holes in the bell housing, preventing the protection (either version) from being fitted properly.    Given the wet sump did line up with the bell housing, and had all bolts fitted, I am assuming my bell housing is ok, therefore I suspect the dry sump fitting is the problem (just not sure how) and this is the reason for my oil leak also from the rear of the sump. 

I've looked again at your photo at the orange arrow, and there is definitely a full hole showing in the bell housing, at least on this side. I know that the threaded portion is very near the top face of the plate, and that's why a shoulder bolt is used. The alternative protector also seems to have the threaded rod welded pretty flush with the top, so although you may have an oil leak, I'm not convinced the sump is in the wrong place.