Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Half door fitting advice - drilling etc

Nick Bassett

• Area Representative

I’m in the process of match fitting my old half doors to my ‘new’ Caterham, but have encountered a problem. During the process I have had to fit some new studs/poppers etc but when drilling a new hole just above the end of the exhaust and level with an existing fitting I seem to be drilling into part of the chassis – see pic. This surprised me given how close it is to the existing stud and at the same level.

So what are my options? Can I/should I drill into the chassis to fit the rivet or do something else?

Thanks

Nick

Caterhamdrillhole_2.jpg.f5500ff85da7a14a624f3f64a922b362.jpg

• Leadership Team

There's a diagonal chassis tube where you're drilling but it's square in profile so as long as you're not near the edge of the tube you should be okay drilling into it. By choice I wouldn't though ... what's wrong with the popper base that's already there???

Stu.

http://www.superse7ens.co.uk/images/SLR/Stripdown/IMG_0224.JPG

• Area Representative

Thanks Stu.

Using the existing popper base isn't possible as the half door is out of alignment elsewhere then - I'll have to have a re-think...

BTW - are you still managing the Superlight R register?

• Leadership Team

I am but I have an issue doing the uploads due to some security changes at the ISP so it's not been updated for a while. I have an ex-owner locally who is very good with the techie side of things so I'm planning to get him on it.

Stu.

• Area Representative

I think I would remove all the existing poppers from the half doors and fit them to match whatever is on the car rather than try the other way round.  The old holes on the doors won't be as noticeable as the new extra poppers on the car!