Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wrong spark plugs??

paisesmediterraneos

Hello, I am David from the south of Spain, I recently bought a 2003 Caterham Seven 1.6 k series roadsport. When I depress the gas pedal the car goes giving pulls, and more when the car is cold. When I depress the gas pedal in neutral everything is ok, but when I engaged a gear and begin driving, the car begins giving pulls. I checked the spark plugs and the car has NGK PFR6N-11.  I was checking at NGK web and they recommends for the car NGK BKR6E.

Do you think the car is doing this because it has the wrong plugs??.

Thank you very much, best wishes.

What gap are your plugs currently set to? Also at the ends of each plug where you get the spark (the electrode), are all showing the same colour? Remember you can upload photos to this site which maybe helps if translation is a problem.

Do you get the "pulls" across the full range of engine revs e.g. Say in 3rd gear from 1,000 all the way to 6,000 rpm?

Hello Jim,

the plugs are now 1 or 1.1milimeters gap, I found in the NGK catalogue that the plugs it has now (KGK PFR6N-11) are recommended for the engine 1.8K but for the engine 1.6K they recommended  different plugs (NGK  BKR6E).

The pulls finish at 3.000rpm more or less, but sometimes (more when it´s cold) it´'s difficult to arrive driving to 3.000rpm...a lot of pulls.

Regards, David.

Jim, thank you very much for helping me with the problem.

Thanks to you I learnt that the problem of the car is called "misfire" in english, I didn´t know about this term, this is why I was writing that the car was "giving pulls".

Thanks to you I also found that the origin of the misfire was in the Lambda sensor.

Best wishes from the south of Spain.