Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rover K - Oil Catch Tank - Benefits - Wet Sump

CheshireCat

Rover 1.8K, Wet sump, Standard plastic inlet plenum

1) What are the benefits or disadvantages of fitting an oil catch tank rather than the standard arrangement of oil mist being recirculated ?

2) What is the set up/connections  for installing a catch tank on a Rover K series with plastic inlet plenum?

I installed a temporary catch tank on my 1.8 K VVC (whilst investigating an oil consumption issue). After several hundred miles of vigorous road driving, all it had caught was a little condensed water vapour. There wasn't even an oily film on top of the water! What makes you think you need one? Do you track the car?

I do the odd track day and compete in sprints and hillclimb events . I have noticed other Rover K cars with oil catch tanks fitted. I have had a trawl through the archives and could not find anything definitive for fitting one. I have an apollo fitted and a wet sump. There are mumblings in previous threads about having a cleaner 'bang' from not recirculating oil fumes, something about oil seals and pressure and oil surge but no clear explanation of benefits.

Hi Clive,

I have 1.8 and found on Curborough figure of eight at  left turn at Flag Pole, engine would suck oil and big cloud of smoke from exhaust,and Pembury on the tight / long hard LH turn again engine rattle, loss of power and big cloud of oil smoke, So have fitted small catch tank and now no problem. but this is on ZZS tyres when hot rather than class two tyres which tend to slide rather than grip.

Philip

@punch - Given that you were getting "engine rattle" with it, that sounds like you are getting oil surge, with the oil pickup being exposed inside the wet sump and picking up air as the oil is thrown out to the side. Fitting a catch tank may have cured the tendency to blow oil into the inlet system which caused the smoke but will not cure the oil surge, which can do serious engine damage in very little time at all. It sounds to me as though you really should be using a dry sump with those tyres!

@Rivilla, as  I  do not have a dry sump, rightly or wrongly i rely on the Apollo tank  to keep the oil in the right place and i assumed the rattle to be the combustion of the oil rather than the bottom end. And as the old englishmaninwales says the only surge i have  is in my enthusiasm  to kick his ass down the road with quicker times!!

When are you out again Malcolm?

Philip