Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tires

Rex

I have 16" inch wheels on my SV with 205-45-16 tires. I just ordered some lightweight apollo 13 inch wheels from Caterham. Just wanted to see if they make the car more nimble. My only concern is that I live on a dirt road with a clearance problem--it scrapes a bit with the wheels I have. Does anybody know what size 13 inch tires I will need to get about the same height? I was thinking 185-60-13, but maybe that won't   be high enough. The total diameter of the 16 inch wheeltire combination is 22.5 inches. I do have an aluminum skid plate fitted on the bottom of the sump. The engine is a Zetec. Thanks to any one who can help.

Aeroscreens, beautiful car and love the idea of long wings and the Brookland screens. How do you find the screens, are they very effective? Presumably there's some aero benefit too?

Id love the idea of them on my car but not sure about the chrome finish as mines largely black and carbon.

Thanks Speedtrip. Re Brooklands all you need to know is that I fitted them in 2001 some 67,000 miles ago *yes*

I'm 5'8" and with a Tillett slightly tilted back I find they offer plenty of protection. As for buffeting there is very little, so much more pleasant than driving with a windscreen and no doors. The number of insects adorning the rollover bar are testament to this. SWMBO is quite happy touring with them too.

I also have a clear perspex aeroscreen that I use when sprinting and this suffers from more buffeting than the Brooklands when used on the road. The rake on the Brooklands screens is adjustable too. Half-doors are essential in bad weather as is a decent waterproof jacket.

curb74.JPG.32e79812edbdfe4b577ff4edb7c7f76f.JPG

Somewhere on this forum is a photo of someone who had the Brooklands stanchion and screens powder coated. It looked pretty good as the black suited the car more than the aluminium.

Aero benefits? Definitely, no more 'see through air brake' *biggrin*

One thing to bear in mind is eye and ear protection. We always used ballistic-rated googles and ER-20 earplugs

Aeroscreen,

Thanks for the response.

Brooklands sound good.....typically I've just bought a half hood!

Definitely something  I'll consider. It's a shame UK summers aren't always as good as this year! A full screen and weather gear seems such a waste/unnecessary at the moment, though I'm sure that will change .....