Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil Filters

R400CAT

Folks.  I completed an oil change today on my R400 Duratec.  

The oil filter that came off was a Mann.  Short filter in size.  

When i purchased a new filter, I was recommended this filter from Opie Oils.  They stated this is what the most folk with 2.0 Duratec where using.

Only issue with it, its double the size.  I have done some searching, and there is mixed opinion about it.  It fits fine on my car, but just a bit concerned as to why Caterham using a filter half the size.

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/pv-99069-mahle-oil-filter-oc1063.aspx

As well as clearance I would suggest that most modern tin tops use "long life" oil where it could be in the sump for two years. Whereas I suspect 7 owners change oil and filter annually with only a few thousand miles and therefore a smaller filter should be fine.

The taller filters on the R400 Duratec work without clearance issues, just ensure it is at least 15mm or so away from the diagonal brace below the filter to allow for engine movement on the mounts. I use the WIX 51348, which is specified for Duratec engines in the Focus & Mondeo, among other fitments. The Mahle OC1063 does have a higher bypass release pressure of 1.2 Bar, though, compared with 0.7 bar for the original Caterham specified UFI 23-118-00 filter.