Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Conical valve springs

ECR

Just read an interesting topic via SELOC about conical valve springs. The spring is wound so that the distance between each coil is different and the diameter at the top of the spring is considerably less than the base.

Varying the distance between coils reduces the harmonics that are often the cause of valve spring breakage (each coil has a different harmonic to its neighbor) and because the spring is smaller in diameter at the top, the valve spring retainer can be smaller (less weight to move) and there is also less weight in the spring at the point which moves the most distance.

It seems a simple idea that could be applied to all performance engines.The link below gives a fuller explanation.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/engines-drivetrain/1410-conical-valvesprings-story-behind-the-coils

• Leadership Team

Interesting, Roger. 

When I was digging around to learn more about Duratec R500 engine specs last year, I came across a reference to CC having introduced conical (or tapered) valve springs on their R500 engine builds from around 2010/2011; I don't know whether this can be relied upon to be factually correct, though.  It was claimed that their change in approach was in response to a number of valve spring failures which (allegedly) a few people had experienced with their earlier R500 Duratec engine builds.

James

• Leadership Team

"The OE versions were in this format as were the Cosworth upgraded ones too."

Are you talking about the fitment of conical springs here, and to Duratecs (when you mention OE versions)?  Just getting a bit lost...

James

According to the above mentioned article, one of the reasons for a double valve spring was that as well as increasing load, the slight interference fit caused the inner spring to act as a damper to reduce resonation

• Leadership Team

I am still struggling to follow some of this.

So, what type (specification) of spring was fitted to the early R500 Duratecs that (allegedly) were prone to early failure?  Were these early engines built with conical springs and did they fail (and if so, what were they replaced with?) or were the conical springs introduced as the solution to breaking springs (and, if so, what was the spec of the pre-conical springs that had the history of breaking)?

Can anyone clarify this?

James

Not sure who built or now builds the engines, ISTR Simon @ Ultimate Performance did the CNC head work and offered upgrade kits to R500 spec for Duratec owners but the springs in this kit are not necessarily the same as ones the CC supplied engines.

Think the R400D used conventional Kent Cams valve springs and retainer (singles).

As to the actual cause of the failures and the numbers involved no idea I'm afraid, spring type, material, heat treatment, poundage, many factors for consideration here. 

• Leadership Team

Thanks 7 wonders... 

Maybe someone else might know (the valve spring history)?  My understanding is that CC removed and then stripped the heads on the standard Duratec engines before sending them to Simon (Ultimate Performance) for the CNC work, and that CC then rebuilt the heads with the uprated cams, valves, springs etc (and fitted uprated pistons to the lower half of the engine, etc) before reassembling the unit.  Would be interesting if anyone knows definitively what type/spec of valve springs were fitted during the rebuilds, both in the early days and on the later (post 2010??) engines.

Anyone know?

James

• Leadership Team

Probably going a bit off topic here but I found my own notes, drawn from various sources, about the history of R500 Duratec valve springs which suggests that conical springs might not have been used initially but were possibly introduced around 2010.  Can't be sure of accuracy but the notes read as follows:

Valve springs:

CC - initial engine builds using single spring but reports of spring failures; reportedly revised spec from CC in 2010/11 timeframe, possibly introducing conical/tapered spring

Alternative - double springs available from Kent (VS59) but some failures known and they are said to be very aggressive on cam lobes

Alternative (2016) - SBD have developed their own double spring and cap set with dual rate springs (straight, not conical)

Are the Cosworth springs seen as further alternatives, or are they the conical spring that was introduced and fitted by CC from 2010/11 to address the initial failure problems?

James