Click here if you are having website access problems ×

X/F Where to Place Oil Catch Tank?

virden

Before fitting an oil catch tank (C/T) I was not aware of any oil fumes, now the cockpit is full of them even at speed.  When fitting the C/T, it sits just above the gearbox top cover, I also installed a crankcase breather which vents into it rather than the rocker box.   The C/T is about 220mm tall meaning there is no  place on the engine "shelf" to fit it, can I place it on the lower diagonal below the carbs?  I seem to recall  a comment that all C/Ts had to be above the crankshaft centre line?  I did consider piping the breather from the C/T  to exit under the car, but thought this might be asking for trouble?

For info, when I fitted my catch tank I made sure the two breather pipes went right to the bottom of the tank to catch everything.  Of course as soon as there was any liquid in there, gasses being vented bubbled nicely through the liquid and blew a stream of fine oily vapour through the breather gaps!  Shortening the pipes to be half way down the tank sorted that out and it now works properly.  

Hi,

On my former Twin Cam, I used a small oil catch tank that was mounted to the vertical plate of the scuttle. This one was connected to the dry sump tank that mounted below it at the passenger side footwell.

It was a closed oil catch tank with an overpressure cap and a screw at the bottom to let the oil drain out.

Never had problems with oil fumes. When you are interested, I can look for the pictures is my archive and publish them.

Cheers

JJF