Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cambelt condition

mudguard

I just got the car back from Andy Belcher with new cambelts, alternator belt, fresh coolant, and heater bleed tee installed.

After the advice here I was curious to have a look at the condition of the old belts. The smaller rear VVC drive belt had no visible wear. The larger front belt had minute hairline cracking between a small number of the teeth when bent backwards. 

Andy was in agreement with everybody on this thread that replacing them was a wise move.

Mindful that the only professionals who've looked closely at the car in the last 2 years have been CC, I did challenge him to pump up the bill by finding anything else that needed doing. The grand total of faults was a loose connection on the foglight!

So a thumbs up to CC's pre-sale checks and a thumbs up to Andy - top bloke!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jonathan Kay - no you are not alone!

I have decided that this winter I am going to change the cambelt on my k series. (I can hold a spanner but don't know then what to do with it).  Your idea of a GTKY7 session would be ideal and just what is needed.  I am slightly surprised that there isn't a definitive guide on this site somewhere. You get the odd link to a video of a guy doing it on a bench with the engine out and some tips in various threads referring to big screwdrivers.  I need the Delia Smith recipe with photos and step by step instructions with no assumptions that I have a clue as to what I am actually doing.  (Thinking about it,  if it is a guide with photos I would prefer a Nigella Lawson version).  Wow, I might have stumbled onto something here...

Considering this is a vital and not inexpensive task we must all face it would be great if someone in the club could write up a full guide on this with some photos.  Perhaps I should attempt this, hopefully it won't be entitled ' How I wrecked my engine - what not to do on cambelt change'.  

In the meantime it looks like cake could be the answer to achieving this task.  I can get loads of cake! 

Alex

Hi Jonathan Kay - no you are not alone!

I have decided that this winter I am going to change the cambelt on my k series. (I can hold a spanner but don't know then what to do with it).  Your idea of a GTKY7 session would be ideal and just what is needed.  I am slightly surprised that there isn't a definitive guide on this site somewhere. You get the odd link to a video of a guy doing it on a bench with the engine out and some tips in various threads referring to big screwdrivers.  I need the Delia Smith recipe with photos and step by step instructions with no assumptions that I have a clue as to what I am actually doing.  (Thinking about it,  if it is a guide with photos I would prefer a Nigella Lawson version).  Wow, I might have stumbled onto something here...

Considering this is a vital and not inexpensive task we must all face it would be great if someone in the club could write up a full guide on this with some photos.  Perhaps I should attempt this, hopefully it won't be entitled ' How I wrecked my engine - what not to do on cambelt change'.  

In the meantime it looks like cake could be the answer to achieving this task.  I can get loads of cake! 

Alex