Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Early Spec Sigma Clutch Release Bearing Assembly - Bleeding!!

SKC

Hi All,

Removed a Sigma engine from a Caterham yesterday to find an unusual looking clutch release bearing assembly.  On all the ones I've seen before, you have the feed pipe from the master cylinder entering the top of the bell housing and then the bleed with the half turn bleed tap exiting the top of the bell housing, next to this.  The one I saw yesterday doesn't have a bleed.  I've had to replace the master cylinder so how do i now bleed the system to remove the air?  Anyone seen one of these before?

Any help gratefully received *smash*

Regards

SKC*byebye*

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for this.

Looks like it may be an autobleed system.  Think I'll refit and engine and try the clutch first before I connect up anything else.  Just seems a bit strange that the later assemblies have a bleed facility....the early ones don't.  

If anyone else has any experience of this, please let me know.

Regards

SKC*byebye*

Hi SKC,

I have the same system on my 2009 car. I was given this information when I needed to bleed mine but solved my problem by altering the pedal stop. The information I was given is as follows and, I am told a bit messy so plenty of paper towels!

1) Slacken Union a little and pump fluid through (bell housing end)

2)Final pump, pedal all the way down then tighten Union (2 people required)

3) Make sure reservoir does not run out of fluid.

This info was given to me by a racer who had the engine in and out regularly, though I have not tried it.

Last year I had the 140 SS conversion done by Sevens and Classics which involved the engine out and new crb. I helped (sort of) during the conversion and made notes of the clutch bleed system which is as follows. 1) Fill reservoir (it had been drained)   2) Pump pedal - fill reservoir , keep repeating  3) Hold pedal down to floor, open bleed at reservoir  4) Fill reservoir  5) Repeat until bleed finished.

This only took a few minutes and did not involve bleeding the slave cylinder, the car has done circa 6000 miles since with no issues.

Hope one of these works for you, would be interested to know how you go on as I have not had to do it yet! The guy at S&C said it was not as fiddly as trying to use the bleed system on the newer cars. It certainly seemed simple when we did it but experience counts for a lot! Good luck.