Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Premier Power test drive

OliW

With a free morning finally, I managed to get over to Premier Power to get my engine out with Stuart's help. Whilst I was there, I had a little pootle in his Sigma 175 ti-vct.  What a revelation it was too; tonnes of power, 0-illegal in no time at all.  An absolute hoot!  He's willing to offer test drives to people thinking of an upgrade, and I'd certainly recommend people take him up on that.

I should add that it was brilliant to get the 7 out of the garage again after a couple of months too!  Bring on the Spring proper.

Hi Andy,

I have a Sigma 150.  It's got a super light flywheel and race clutch as fitted by Stuart, which has sharpened it up nicely, but the 175 felt far more powerful (as you'd expect). 

I can see why reviews are positive.  I don't think Stuart has a customer who hasn't been happy with what they've bought, and I have always been impressed on my passenger rides and now with an actual test drive.  If I had a few more quid and an emptier priority list I'd seriously consider it.

Hi Mark

Final stages....

Its in, mapped and running. All minor issues sorted.

However Nitrons are with Simon for service so got a set of borrowed bilsteins on at present so don't want to drive it as they are not set up properly and likely to be a hairy experience especially with a power hike!

Last few bits: fit new headlights, get a Hans device (today from Merlin at Castle Coombe)get it flat floored again by Andy & thats it! Poss new front wings.

Two weeks today should be all done.

I've just spent a very pleasant few hours with Stuart at Premier Power while he replaced the cam belt on my Sigma 150. Just watching a master craftsman at work was an experience in itself, but that pleasure was surpassed when Stuart sat me in the seat of his 175-ti-vct demonstrator - and let me drive it!

Apart from being wheelspinningly quick, that engine delivers power smoothly over a very wide torque band, and winds up to the rev limiter (7400rpm) in an instant. Compared to my 150 it's simply a different animal, much faster and more tractable. Interestingly though, its a pussycat to drive in restricted areas and traffic, that makes the car a great all rounder.

I have always been convinced that the Sigma characteristics are well suited to a Caterham (dare I say compared to a Duratec). There is no doubt that the 175 demonstrates just how good this little engine is, and what miracles are possible under Premier Power's hot breath. 

if you want a great experience, suggest you give Stuart a call and see if you too can blag a test drive. Be warned though, you will be tempted .......

Peter

Hi All,

Thanks for the positive feedback.

If anyone is interested, we will be running the F200 Ti-VCT Sigma powered car at Silverstone on the 27th March.  Anyone interested in a passenger ride in this, please let me know.

Regards

SKC*byebye*

Just had a phone conversation with Stuart at Premier Power. Top bloke. Couple of very interesting options; I just need to do the man maths and convince SWMBO. Apparently one way round it is if Stuart doesn't put the stickers on..she'll never know! So tempting!!!