Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Broken Duratec Cam Cover

gareth1

So my first ever post and I feel like an idiot!

I've just completed the build of my 420r and it's been a fantastic experience. I'd read every blog I could find so expected missing bits and vague instructions. The instructions were vague in places as expected but the blogs and wealth of knowledge in this forum meant I only emailed Derek three times. What's more I had no missing parts (except the connector for the water temperature sender)!

On with my screw up and question:

i am very embarrassed to say have broken the oil breather hose connection off the cam cover by getting the engine hoist chain court on it when lifting. Derek and caterham were superb they don't stock cam covers as they come with the engines. However they found an old one in the garage and sent it to me. 

So my engine runs and all is well but the cam cover is old and scratched and written on and I want a replacement that looks as good as the rest of my car!

The only ones I can find on the internet have five large holes down the middle where the plug coils fit not the four on my original. So my question is, given the spare hole is in the middle of the four plug/coil holes is sealed from the cams etc by the gasket can I simply put a grommet of some description in the spare hole to cover it?

Alternatively can anyone tell me where I can source a replacement?

Thanks in advance!!

Gareth

Hi, thanks for the reply, I had seen this one but I think it's a different version I have the version with the coils above/attached to the plugs. Below is the one I need but mine doesn't have the large central hole! 

http://www.burtonpower.com/cam-cover-oem-plastic-ford-duratec-he-i4-pr6777.html

so trying to figure out if I can just seal that central hole?

Not quite sure what your saying.

The Raceline one is aftermarket. Shallower initially designed for the 2.3 which was 13mm taller than the 2.0.I think your find it's a straight swap. Not sure what the centre hole in the Burton standard cam cover is for, sorry I didn't notice that at first.

If you want cheap one get one off eBay.

Hi,

I'm not entirely sure I know what I'm saying either if I'm honest, this is all new to me!

i wasn't sure that the coil over version that I have and the version with HT leads etc were the same. I'll email raceline to check.

thanks for your help.

gareth