Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lowered headlight brackets fitted.

Wodybode

I've got a S3 Roadsport 140 with lowered floors and 7" chrome headlights and being a shortarse I found I had to keep looking around them on crests of hill etc. so I've just fitted the lowered brackets, the type that fit onto the upper front wishbone mount.

The first one took me hours because I had to work out how to get the wires out of the plug/socket on the loom. I replaced the wiring wrap tape with heat shrink only to find it was too stiff to pull through the new bracket so had to remove it and use new wiring tape, then I forgot to put the nut on before feeding the wires through the bracket. (!) Well you know how it is. The second one took only a fraction of the time as I didn't have to do anything twice or make any mistakes.

If anyone else is going to do this mod. a few pointers.

The wires with pins attached will pop out of the socket on the loom if you use a tiny jewelers flat screwdriver to bend the prong back that locks each pin into place and then pull the wire from the back. Once you've got the first one out, you'll know just where to poke it and the rest will be easy.

Check the wires for damage as I found two that had damaged insulation and needed a short length of heat shrink to protect them.

Assemble the light fitting, bracket and wiring together on the bench then attach the whole assembly to the car. It just seemed easier this way, and my back was killing me bending over the car anyway.

The front ARB needed unbolting to allow the wishbone mounting bolt to be withdrawn. I just removed the bolts from the ARB bushes and this allowed the bar to flex out of the way enough.

It's made a big difference to my view and I'm very happy with the result.

xlarge_IMG_0935.jpeg.91fd3e3c7492ad2466ef25255b7e68e8.jpeg

Photo so the right colours went back in the right holes.

xlarge_IMG_0938.jpeg.745de9b7ef163b7d31f47ea53526b581.jpeg

xlarge_IMG_0939.jpeg.d7bf7f2ac8a4f9469ce60d8f582349bc.jpeg

xlarge_IMG_0940_0.jpeg.1cef2f2b50dd906f1bf61e4d0775fd50.jpeg