Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1968, S2, fuel issue

Red Line Components

The Car:
1968 S2, 1500 pre crossflow, single weber, mechanical fuel pump.

The engine stopped out of the blue, symptoms similar to running out of fuel. Bonnet off and glass inline fuel filter located between the tank and the pump was empty.

Added some fuel (but actually the tank was found to be almost full) and the car started and ran for a mile or 2 before the same thing happened.

I suspected dirt in the tank/fuel line preventing the fuel from reaching the filter and pump.

Back in the garage, after cleaning the fuel lines and replacing the filter I try again, fuel is pumping OK (with the fuel line into carb disconnected) but no hint of firing up once connected to the carb.

Lots of cranking, plugs sparking but dry.

I now suspect a failing weak fuel pump or some sort of block in the carb. But this wouldn't have caused the empty filter.

I think i will replace the pump next (as this is a simple swap and I can rob the project car of a good pump)....

Thoughts?

I've had similar where there was crud in the tank - as the fuel is drawn through the pick up it gradually attracts the crud and blocks the end of the pickup. the car sits and all the crud falls to the bottom of the tank again, so it starts up again fine and runs for a while. An old Spitfire I had drove me mad with this, and when I pulled the tank and drained it I found a pile of leaves in it (I can only assume put in there as a 'hilarious' prank...)