Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Chrome Bullet Mirrors

Alan Archer

I am almost with you on this one Alan, streamlined mirrors have got to be better than the bike type I fitted this year. I think that they may work better on the doors than the Caterham originals too, which on my car give an image like viewing a  3D movie without using the glasses!  

Alan,

I considered bullet mirrors many years ago and found that they all sem to come with a very stylish but short stem which when attached to the Brooklands stanchion were not high enough to see properly over the rear wing. 

More common on foreign 7s is the tripod stem. Something to consider perhaps?

large_Tripodmirror.jpg.5b753e8a550a8b63e0d1bcdd3f1e8693.jpg

Alan, I tried a pair like that on the doors of my Elan for a while (was some time ago!). They do look good.  The drivers side one was fine but the passenger side did not have enough adjustment in the glass to allow you to see anything behind you.  So practically not much use.  Back in the day they were designed to go on the wings so the adjustment angle did not have to be so great.  Maybe the ones you can buy today have better angle of adjustment but see if you can try before you buy.

Blat done

Here they are on the windscreen (the dent in the mirror was stone by the way , hence now using the screen) For this arrangement I use a shorter stay to the screen upright . The mirrors are great rock steady and I think look great

xlarge_20161015_164212_resized.jpg.ffc91f3e34a06a9f28f69fc698407133.jpg

When the aero was on I used a longer arm into the scuttle

xlarge_20161015_164328_resized.jpg.051a3895f79f81185dc8d7a181b86424.jpg

xlarge_P1020780(2).JPG.58251c651a874b454af9d274161e12fb.JPG

No you need the arm to stablise the mirror or it will vibrate . I've a friend who runs the chrome set up with brooklands and he just got a longer arm made to fit to the strap .I'd talk to Red Line they might even have an off the shelf option. if not I'd find a local engineering place to make you the long arm , they'd love to do something different and would charge you very little.