Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Westfield XI for sale

stephen grant

Rather sadly, I am putting my eleven up for sale. Much as I love it, I have a busy family life and other sportscars and consequently the XI never gets used. Rather than have it sit idle in my garage, I'd rather someone else enjoyed driving it. In 10 years I have amassed 3,000 miles in the car, which says it all really.

It was built by the Westfield factory as their 2006 demonstrator, first registered Feb 2006. They ran it for a few months and it appeared in various magazines and also on an episode of 5th Gear, with Tiff Needel driving it (see 

). II bought the car from them at the end of 2006. I wasn't particularly happy with the quality of the bodywork, so spent around £5,000 at Option One Sportscars, where they tidied up the bodywork, repainted the car in Jaguar Racing Green, strengthened the front clam, installed a roll hoop behind the driver's head, a front clam stay and so on. I also fitted a stage 3 head from Slark Race Engineering, along with twin 45 Weber carbs and a few other bits. The carbs were set up by Airey Tuning, who measured 100bhp on their rolling road. It's pretty much immaculate bar a couple of small paint scratches, it comes with 12 months MOT, 13" wire wheels, and runs the original Spridget 1275 A-series and 4spd box. It is taxed (although that's no longer transferrable) and has a genuine 3,000 miles on the clock, much of was acquired on a trip to Le Mans and back in 2009, when it was invited to participate in the Driver's Parade through the town on the Friday before the race. Other than that it has spent it's entire life in my garage, coming out for the very occasional round trip in nice weather.

The car is based in Surrey and is for sale for £27,000.

Photo here: http://www.westfield-eleven.org/stepheng.jpg  . Please email me for other photos if interested.

Regards,

stephen

Westfield XI is on my 'to-do' list but not until this time next year unfortunately (and even then it would be a toss up between an XI and an S2 Seven) - for sale about a year too soon for me, but its lovely, I love these cars, well done owning and enjoying this one.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Stephen

Well, I am 1.93m.  I just about fitted in my S3 7 with Tillets and lowered floors.

I thought that a lot of Lotus cars were built around Colin Chapman's dimensions, which makes them uncomfortable for anyone over about 1.80m.  I sat in a colleague's Esprit once and was amazed at how cramped it was - there was no way I could have driven it.

Ben

Hi Ben,

I'm not the ideal person to comment (perhaps someone taller could chip in who has driven both cars?), being rather Chapman-esque in stature, but the 7 is definitely a lot more cramped than the 11, in all dimensions. There may be an issue for tall people with head clearance over the roll hoop that I installed, that is the only thing. The XI as standard comes with no roll-over protection at all, and I had the hoop made up for the car. I've not really checked how much head clearance it provides, although it's "good enough" for someone of my height.

Come to think of it, Chris Todd has one and he's a tall chap. Chris? Where are you....

stephen

As an aside I had to turn down the chance to buy a Lotus XI back in the 90s (didn't have the dosh). Ironically, it was less than you're asking for this rather fine car Stephen. It belonged to a colleague and was the actual car that Westfield used to make the moulds for your car.

But the Westfield car is great and looks stunning.

Hope the car goes to a good new owner - I'm sure it will give years of great enjoyment and it just looks sooooooooooo good!

Andy

• 3 weeks later...