Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Help,car on 3 wheels

p.mole1

Does anyone know what the PCD would be for the front hub on a 1995 Caterham. I need to get hold of a new or second hand hub.

My original hub is knackered beyond repair and Caterham don't seem to have any that will fit an early model, at least I can't seem find one on their website.

Is it a Triumph Spitfire hub or is it a Caterham part only, and if so where could I get one from?.I have been away for a few weeks and would like to get my car back on the road as soon as possible. It's sitting in my garage on a block of wood.

Do you use Ford PCD wheels? If so, there are two sorts of front hub, one with small bearings and the "upgrade" hub with bigger bearings and stub axles. Both are apparently in stock at Caterham:

http://caterhamparts.co.uk/product.php?id_product=116

http://caterhamparts.co.uk/product.php?id_product=3400

PS. Odd that Redline are difficult to get hold of at the moment.

Hi Mankee,

yes that's the hub, the replacement looked like the newer hub but  took the old style bearing.

I suspect its been made in China and poorly machined.

I don't suppose you have an old serviceable hub to sell?

That's sad that parts from the Far East are sub-standard for our British cars. I've just heard from another club member about brand new expensive calipers from Caterham leaking straight out of the box. *soapbox*

Unfortunately, I don't have a spare hub at all. The reason I was forced to upgrade to the later hubs with bigger bearings and larger stub axles was because I had a stub axle break on me at nearly 100mph, which was a bloody terrifying experience.

I hope you get things sorted out. If you can upgrade, I'd urge you to do so, for peace of mind.

Yikes snapping stub axles that's not good!

I can't justify spending that sort of money on my car, besides I think its had a fairly sedate life by its previous owner of 20 years and its not on sticky tyres so hopefully they are not too fatigued .

Thanks for the offer Sandboy but It looks like I have been able to source one,hopefully Redline will refund me for the returned hub it seems like they are closed down for a couple of weeks on holiday?.

I would rather have the old style hub,you just don't know what your getting with some of this far eastern stuff.