Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Chain cover oil leak

Rattie

Hi all,

I have a slow weeping oil leak from the seal (RTV) around the chain cover on the from of the duratec. It seem to be at one of the bolts at the bottom, that go into the sump, second from the right, looking from the front of the car.

I'm loathe to take the engine out to sort it, so I'm wondering what can be done in situ. It's a wet (Caterham branded Raceline) sump R300, so there's no tank in front.

Any thoughts? Anyone had the same thing? I'm assuming the RTV bead was marginal and over time has sprung a tiny leak. We're talking around a drop per day here.

Cheers

Martyn

I got it from Raceline direct. I'd intended to replace just the sump pan but CC supply the full kit only.  Raceline could supply either. Better still, they could supply the full kit and then refund any unused parts. I ended up fitting the full kit as I wanted to get the old sump repaired as a spare.

For info, my Raceline contact was Chris Smith in Sales on 01932 340347.

JV

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your help John. Turns out it was a hairline crack, running up the corner of the "box" that the finger filter sits in. Despite Mick's reassurance that it's not needed, I backed the bellhousing away from the rear of the engine by a couple of mm, to make it easier to fit the new sump without smearing the front cover bead up and into the chain area.

I'm so glad we have a scissor lift. It made the whole procedure much easier in our single width garage.

Went out for a quick blat last night and everything seems fine. Now we just need a bit more decent weather.

Hi Martyn,

Glad to hear you've sorted it out. 

I'm in the process of getting my old sump repaired.  Chris Smith of Raceline recommended a welder, and I've sent off some photos for an opinion.  I'll let you know how I get on (although it may not be for a month or two).

JV