Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Removing windscreen

Blue_SV

Hi

Could someone point me in the direction of a guide to removing the windscreen or offer some handy tips? I bought a single aeroscreen and want to fit for L7 Speed Events but then re-fit the main screen for road use.

All advice gratefully received. Thanks

Jon 

Jon

The first thing to do is to have a look under the dash to see if you have ordinary washers and nuts holding the screen on, or a retaining channel with captive nuts. The channel bolts on to the scuttle and makes it easier to swap the screen subsequently, so order them if you don't have them already fitted. 

To access the nuts you may need to remove the knee panels - this should just need some screws removing, but you may have to drill a rivet out as well. The knee panel just slots in behind the inner skin. 

If you have an FIA switch, disconnect the battery before you go near it with any spanners!

The screen just needs the 4 bolts removing now, but I would loosen the 6 screws holding the stanchion to the screen. This gives you a bit more wiggle room and helps avoid scratching the paintwork. Put a towel or blanket on the bonnet before you start to lower the screen on to. It is easier to have someone to hold the screen the first time, but once you have done it it is a one man job if you have the retaining channels fitted. 

With the bolts out, lower the screen on to the bonnet. There will be a lot of crud under the screen, but you should see two wires to the heated screen. You will need to disconnect these under the dash and pull them through the grommets - take the silicon cover off the spade terminal first. 

Fitting the screen is the reverse of the above.  

It now takes me 5 mins to fit the aero screen and 10 mins to go back to a full screen. 

Steve