Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cadwell Park

p.mole1

I could do with some help,I'm off to Cadwell on Fri and have no experience of Caterhams let alone rear wheel drive.

I have had the car a few months but have driven it very little due to weather and fixing all its problems. 

It seems very twitchy/ unstable I could be slower than a three wheeler on fri!.

Its a 94 De dion 1.4ss I have checked for play and found a knackered front hub/bearing now fixed,adjusted the tracking to 25mins toe in to try and increase front line stability.

I changed the top ball joint due to a torn boot and have set each side to have the same camber, it will about 1 to 1.5 deg negative.

It has Avon ZT5 14 inch 185/60 tyres  set to 20 psi and standard non adjustable  dampers the backs could be a bit saggy? its done 22000 miles.

If I feel I'm having handling problems would someone be able to drive it and give an opinion?

OK , This is a classic reason why we are proposing a " Buddy System" at the club days

Cadwell will be the first that runs this - All I know at the moment is that I have volunteered as have a few others to be supportive

If no  one else comes forward I will be in the Paddock with my Blue R500 with a yellow roll cage and sporting the number 580

Come an introduce yourself - I will take you through sign on, noise test etc and if you want pax your first laps ( or the Ducks and Drakes if I am allowed ( organiser may insist I drive my own car ))

As for set up I would I will leave that to others but to be honest as long as your mirror is adjusted your speed will not be an issue an dwe have all been in exactly the same situation as yourself 

• Leadership Team

Just to say...

Expect to hear from me about 'pairing up' for the Cadwell Park 'buddy system' in the next day or so. 

I'm currently in the US but about to travel back and, as soon as I get back, I will be working on the info that Sam will have provided to me (basically, a summary of those participants who have experessed an interest in being supported, and those more experienced members who have offered to act as a 'buddy' and provide some help).

So I will be attempting to match up the "want a buddy" with the "happy to be a buddy" groups on a 1:1 basis...

And also the session groupings as well - nearly everyone wants to go out in the "Intermediate" grouping so I'll have to do some thoughtful adjustment there.  But in any case, if everyone behaves we'll be running OPL after lunch...

Just checked the latest weather and it's looking dry and reasonably good - fingers crossed!

James

Looking foward to it,hopefully my car will behave, I had a worrying moment finding pools of antifreeze under the car turns out it was a tiny leak on the radiator cap. I wonder if some kind sole will lend me a K series dipstick on Fri morning so I check it against what's left of mine and I'm ready to go!