Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Immobiliser problem

prangerman

2004 K Series R300 with recent engine upgrade by BOSS. The car also has a new Emerald K6. All has been fine since I got it back. The ACES shift light unit is going back to ACES to be reprogrammed for the higher rev limit (it's not the user programmeable version) and I've spent several hours untangling the various wires and disconnecting them in and around the driver's side scuttle. Having removed the unit I thought I should check that the car still starts. It doesn't! The Toad immobiliser won't switch off. I've never had problems with it before. Any suggestions please? Peter

1. "All has been fine since I got it back." Including the immobiliser switching off after the engine upgrade and before the untangling etc?
  2. Does everything including the ignition warning lamp and the fuel pump come on normally when you try to start? It's just the starter that doesn't? 
  3. Recheck ECU and engine earths.
  4. Reset inertia switch.
  5. What's the battery voltage with the ignition on just before cranking?
  6. Do you have the reset procedure for the immobiliser?

Jonathan

Well, sick of hanging upside down under the dash trying to trace wires etc, this morning I reconnected the shift light box and now the immobiliser works again and the engine starts. When I'm in a better humour I'll tidy up the wiring and connections. At least I hadn't snipped or knocked any other wires under the dash which was a concern. Reprogramming the shift light box is on hold until further notice...Peter

I reconnected the shift light box and now the immobiliser works again and the engine starts.

That should help a lot with the diagnosis. How many wires are there to that box and do you have a wiring diagram for it that we could have a look at? (I'm still suspecting a missing earth.)

Jonathan

I don't have a wiring diagram though I recall there is something on the ACES website. There's nothing wrong with the earth which I disconnected and reconnected when removing and refitting the box. It's earthed to one if the bolts on the bulhead by where the steering column enters. There are three wires into the box plus a din type plug from it to the lights themselves. Having spent several hours contorted to trace and untangle the wires behind the dash I have lost the will to contort for some time to come. At least it has reminded me that I'm overdue for my monthly osteo session. I suspect that the issue lies with the new ECU which with the immobiliser expects the shift light circuit to be there. Peter